The Mid-West Planning District is seeking a Building Inspector. We are looking for a motivated and energetic person to join our team and take a proactive role in ensuring a safer built environment in our District.
Who we are
The Mid-West Planning District includes the area of four member municipalities. Rural Municipality of Ellice-Archie, Prairie View Municipality, Hamiota Municipality and Rural Municipality of Oakview. The District is run by an appointed board of directors with representatives from each municipal council.
Our office is based in Miniota, MB, but employees also do guest office hours at the other municipal offices in the District. We are also set up to be able to work on the road and from home.
Our office creates and looks after the development plan for the District, as well as reviews, applications and inspect based on issued building and development, demolition, plumbing and occupancy permits. We also do plumbing inspections and fire safety inspections for the District.
Our District is mostly agriculturally based, but have experience many first time development situations. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our processes for ourselves and our clients. To that end we have implemented online permitting and inspecting software.
As a Building Inspector you will be responsible for performing legislated building inspections required by the Manitoba Building Code for houses, residential buildings, and small buildings within the scope of Part 9, to ensure compliance with all applicable Laws, Municipal zoning and building By-laws and the Manitoba Building and Plumbing Codes. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Review and render decisions related to all building and plumbing applications in conformance with the Manitoba Building and Plumbing Codes, amendments thereto and local Municipal by-laws
- Maintain relationships and communication with other municipal, provincial and federal departments and agencies in the processing and reviewing of building permits
- Determine applicable Fees and issue Building, Plumbing, Demolition and Occupancy Permits
- Perform site inspections to ensure that all construction complies with minimum design requirements of applicable codes, standards and Municipal by-laws
- Maintain a complete record of all correspondence related to the review, approval, permitting and required enforcement actions
- On request, attend member municipal Council meetings as required, on matters involving building code issues and those matters that are incompatible with local building by‑laws
- Represent the Board or respective Council at any hearing or court proceedings in respect of the enforcement of member Municipal Building By-Laws
As a successful applicant, you must possess
- Grade 12, G.E.D., or Mature High School Diploma
- A strong grasp of construction and materials
- Experience in building construction projects
- Ability to read and interpret plans, blueprints and specifications
- Knowledge of the Manitoba Building and Plumbing Codes
- Verbal and written communications skills
- Basic proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel)
- Diplomatic in dealing with the public
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Problem-solving skills
- Willing to participate in continuing education
Applicants with the following will be given preference
- Certified Engineering Technologist diploma or Journeyman certification in Carpentry, Plumbing fields
- Certificate of course completion for Part 9 and Part 3 courses
- Certificate of course completion for plumbing inspections
- Two years experience with a Planning District as a Development Officer and/or Building Inspector
- CBCO certification for Part 9: Housing, Part 9: Small Buildings, Part 3: Buildings
- Experience using Cloudpermit software
- Fire Prevention Inspector certification
NOTE: The qualifications are not intended to limit the opportunities for interested candidates but provide the candidates with an understanding of the level of expertise required in this position. An equivalent combination of experience and education shall be considered.
- Based out of the Miniota Office, but requires travel throughout the District.
- Office hours are 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday, however the successful candidate may be required to work outside of normal business hours.
- Valid driver’s license along with a clean drivers abstract and use of a personal vehicle are required.
- Working conditions will include inclement weather
- Able to climb ladders and enter confined spaces
In confidence, qualified candidates are encouraged to electronically submit their resume in PDF format along with their compensation expectation to the following email address by no later than 4:00 pm on July 6, 2022 to: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.