Q: What if I fail to take out a permit?

  • If the work does not comply with the Manitoba Building Code requirements, costly repairs may result to you
  • Work started that cannot be made to comply, may likely require removal
  • There are surcharges to the regular fees if work is started before obtaining a Building Permit
  • Legal action may also be initiated to ensure compliance
  • Insurance coverage may be denied
  • Selling your home may be difficult

Q: Is there any way that compliance with a certain aspect of the Building Code can be waived?

The Mid-West Planning District does not have the authority to waive the requirements but it does have the authority to ac­cept alternative solutions which meet the intent of the Building Code. If you feel you can satisfy a Building Code requirement by using an equivalent material or construction method, contact us to discuss.

Q: What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer (email to devofficer@midwestplanning.ca)

Q: How do I submit an application?

You can find all our applications and forms online. Once filled out you can submit them one of several ways.

  1. If it is a building application, you can apply through our online portal, Cloudpermit.
  2. Send via email to devofficer@midwestplanning.ca
  3. Send via fax to 204-567-3695
  4. Mail to Mid-West Planning District, Box 96, Miniota, MB R0M 0T0
  5. Drop off at our office: 111 Sarah Avenue, Miniota, MB – Basement entrance on the south side of the building.

Q: How do I sign up for a Cloudpermit Account?

To get started with Cloudpermit, you need to Create an Account.
Note: you will need an email address to use the system.

  1. Go to the Cloudpermit site
  2. Click on “CREATE  NOW” found under the Register for an account column.
  3. Provide your email address.
  4. Cloudpermit will send an email to the address you have provided.
  5. Open the email and complete the registration process.
    Note: this email is only valid for 24 hours.

The next time you visit the site, you’ll login using your email and password.

Q: How do I know which inspections to book for?

When your building permit is approved, you will receive a list of the inspections required.

Q: Where do I obtain a Development Plan By-law and maps?

A PDF can be downloaded from our website.

Q: Where do I obtain a municipal zoning by-law and maps?

Zoning by-law and maps can be purchased from the respective municipalities or downloaded from our website.

Q: How do I get a copy of my Land Title?

A: The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer or the Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba).

Q: Where do I obtain a survey certificate?

Obtain a survey through a Manitoba Land Surveyor.

Q: I want to install a sign on my business, who do I contact?

Mid-West Planning District. See Sign Permits under Commercial / Industrial Building.

Q: Do I need a permit for renovations?

Most likely yes, see Residential Renovations.

Q: Do I require a building permit for a deck?

Yes! A building permit is required for any deck which is higher than 200 mm (8 in.) above average ground level or ANY deck which will eventually support an enclosed struc­ture with a roof such as a sun room, family room, etc.

Q: What if the deck is not attached to my house, do I still need a building permit?

Regardless of whether or not the deck is attached to the house or any other structure on the property, a building permit is required, as noted above.

Q: When building a deck, are overhead power supply conductors or Hydro meters a cause for concern?

YES! If you plan to build a deck beneath overhead power supply conductors, a minimum clearance of 3.5 m (11 ft. 6 in.) must be maintained between the deck surface and the conduc­tors. If the deck is to be installed beneath a Hydro meter, it may be necessary to relocate the meter to maintain the proper meter height. For more information contact your local Mani­toba Hydro District Operating Centre at the phone number listed on your Manitoba Hydro bill.

Q: Do I require an occupancy permit for new building construction?

Yes, this is part of the permit process through the Mid-West Planning District.

Q: I would like to have a home based business/occupation.  Who do I contact?

Mid-West Planning District. See Home-Based Business under Residential Building.

Q: Who do I talk to about purchase of Municipal owned land?

Contact the respective municipalities.

Q: Where do I apply for subdivision of property?

Manitoba Local Government – Community & Regional Planning Email: Community & Regional Planning Email | General Inquiry 204-726-6267

Q: Where do I obtain an electrical or gas permit?

Manitoba Hydro

Q: I am building a residential home in a rural area what additional approvals/permits do I need?

  • Conditional Use approval if applicable.
  • Variance to the property if applicable.
  • Approval from the Conservation and Climate Department for the septic system to be provided.

 For more information: Government of Manitoba Department of Conservation and Climate

Email: Department Inquiry – cc@gov.mb.ca
Phone: 204-945-6784
Toll Free: 1-800-214-6497
Fax: 204-948-2656

  • New driveway access off of Provincial Road allowance, contact the municipal office and contact Department of Infrastructure.

For more information: Government of Manitoba Department of Infrastructure

Email: Department of Infrastructure
General Phone: 204-945-3660
Fax: 204-945-0593

  • Subdivision, if applicable, is processed through Provincial Community and Regional Planning. Contact the Brandon Community and Regional Planning Branch Office: 

Community & Regional Planning Email: Community & Regional Planning Email | General Inquiry 204-726-626

Q: Flood Recovery Contact

Government of Manitoba

Q: Where can I build my fence?

A fence may be erected along and up to a property line but within the property limits. However, when costs and maintenance of a fence are shared by adjoining neighbours, it may be built right on the property line.

Q: Who pays for a fence?

If your neighbour is making plans to build a fence you are not obligated to give money towards their project. However, it is often cost-effective to work with a neighbour in building a fence. When costs and maintenance of a fence are shared by adjoining neighbours, it may be built right on the property line.

Q: What if my neighbour and I are having a dispute regarding fencing between our properties?

If the fence complies with the respective Zoning By-Law regulations, it would be a civil matter that would have to be resolved between you and your neighbour.

Q: How do I determine my property lines?

To accurately locate property lines requires a Manitoba Land Surveyors Building Location Certificate or there may be pins located on your property which indicate the property lines.

Q: How can I obtain a Building Location Certificate?

Check your records. Most property owners already have this document, it usually comes with the property purchase. Otherwise, the services of a qualified Land Surveyor should be obtained. Using a Certificate as reference is the best way to avoid disputes between neighbours.

Q: Which side is the good side of a fence?

When you build your fence it is up to you to decide, using the regulations as guidelines, how you want your fence to look. Style, colour, etc., are yours to decide. It is a good idea to check with your neighbours before building a fence to see if your plans can be incorporated with those that they might have.

Q: Could there be asbestos in my building?

If your house or building was constructed circa 1930- 1990’s there’s a good chance that some of the materials used in construction contain asbestos.

Q: Where can asbestos be found?

Asbestos and asbestos containing materials (ACMs) are commonly found in building materials used and installed in homes, workplaces, buildings and infrastructure between approximately 1930 and 1990.

Asbestos and ACMs were largely used in interior finishes (walls, ceilings, floors), such as wallboard, textured and latex paints, acoustical ceiling tiles, plaster, and vinyl floor tiles.

Exterior finishes that may contain asbestos (roofing, stucco, siding) such as clapboard, shingles, felt for roofing, roof patching materials, exterior siding.

Mechanical heating and air handling systems may also contain asbestos, such as pipe and boiler covering; furnace cement, compounds and cement, calking’s and putty.

Other materials such as appliance wiring and loose fill vermiculite insulation (expanded mica) may also contain asbestos.
These suspect materials must be handled as though they contain asbestos until it is shown through laboratory analysis that they are asbestos-free.

Q: What should I do if asbestos is found in my building?

It is a complex and expensive matter to remove asbestos, and should be done by an experienced contractor. When disturbing an asbestos product, maximum precautions must be taken to safeguard the workers and anybody else who may be nearby. Asbestos dust must remain within the work area so that it cannot be breathed in by an unprotected persons.

Q: When does asbestos need to be removed?

If you know that your building contains asbestos, it must be removed prior to being disturbed or where work takes place near asbestos. This means if your building contains asbestos and you plan to alter, add to or demolish your building, your first call should be to a qualified asbestos abatement contractor.

Q: What are the responsibilities around asbestos as an owner?

If asbestos is found in your building you are required by law to keep a detailed and up to date inventory of the asbestos-containing material in your building. This record should be kept for at least 30 years and be made available to anyone who may perform work to your building.
If you plan to make alterations to your building or demolish it, you are required to take measures to ensure that asbestos-containing material is prevented from entering the atmosphere and that no person working on your building is exposed to any asbestos-containing material that may create a risk to their safety or health.

If you know that your building contains asbestos and you plan to alter or demolish it, you are required to contact Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health at least 5 days prior to starting.

For more information on the proper detection, abatement, handling and disposal of hazardous materials within your home or building, contact Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health at 204-726-6361, Toll Free: 1-855-957-7233 or 1-204-957-7233.