Development Permits vs. Building Permits

A Development Permit is not a building permit. A building permit must be obtained prior to any construction. A Development Permit is required when the property to be developed, meaning any change in site development or land use.

The issuance of the Development Permit confirms all applicable zoning regulations have been met for a given project, including most types of construction, changes to land use, home based businesses, temporary uses and structures, and signs.

The issuance of a Building Permit ensures that the submitted building plans and required drawings meet the Manitoba Building Code and Manitoba Plumbing Code. Residential Building Permits and Plumbing Permits are issued concurrently. Inspections are required according to the complexity of the plans submitted and are unique to the project.

We are now offering online permit applications. Create your account and apply online for your building, plumbing or demolition permit today!

PLEASE NOTE: An application for a permit does not mean that you are entitled to a permit or that a permit will be issued. Only through a demonstrated compliance to the Building Code and to all other applicable regulations will a permit be issued.

Mid-West Planning District issues 5 classifications of permits:




No development may take place in the Mid-West Planning District (MWPD) unless a Development Permit has been issued by the MWPD Development Officer in accordance with the applicable Zoning By-Law. Specifically, issuance of the Development Permit confirms all applicable zoning regulations have been met for a given project, including:

  • most types of construction
  • changes to land use
  • home based businesses
  • temporary uses and structures
  • signs



A building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. A permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, demolitions and repairs. Examples include:

  • New Construction
  • Additions
  • Finishing previously unfinished spaces (rec. rooms, bedrooms, attics, basements)
  • Installations of wood stoves
  • Installation of pools or hot tubs
  • Decks and ramps
  • Temporary Buildings (canvas sheds)
  • Storage sheds
  • Garages, carports
  • Fences

Examples of projects which would NOT normally require a building permit, but please contact us to be sure your project does not require a permit:

  • Replacement of shingles with same material
  • Replacement of doors & windows, when the size of the opening is not altered
  • Replacement of siding or stucco
  • Painting, patching & decorating
  • Installation of cabinets and shelves
  • Installation and replacement of sidewalks
  • Construction of accessory buildings and sheds less than 10 meters sq. (108 sq. ft.)



Plumbing permits are required for new construction of all buildings, building additions, alterations, repairs, renovations and include plumbing rough-ins, hookups and relocations. Plumbing Permits are issued in conjunction with the Building Permits.


Occupancy permits are usually applied for and given at the end of a building permit. In order to close a building permit, an occupancy permit must be applied for and granted with the exception of Residential projects where a final/pre-occupancy inspection is required and part of your Building Permit.

In some cases a change of occupancy permit may be needed.

Occupancy regulates the number of people who can occupy the space. For residential it is how many people can live/sleep in the space, which is 2 people / bedroom. For commercial it is how many people can be present in the space at one time.



A Demolition Permit is required prior to demolishing or removing any building with a floor area greater than 120 ftfrom any property located within the Mid-West Planning District (MWPD). The elimination of a building from a property affects that property's assessment and taxes.